Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Bout of Bad Luck

hhThere was a common saying I learned on my mission in Germany, "Alle gute dinge sind drei", which means, all good things come in threes. In my case it's been all BAD things come in three. You would not believe what we've been through lately. I'll start with the most recent incident. It all started on Thursday night. The kids were outside playing in the back yard. They kept turning the hose on to rinse the sand off their hands and feet from playing in the sand box. They kept leaving the hose on of course so I had to turn it off every time. Right before we all went in for the night I checked the hose again and went to turn it off...
Yep, that's right... another blonde moment. I turned the knob the wrong way, which means the hose was on full blast ALL night long RIGHT next to the house. I'm sure you can guess what we found the next morning...
Uh yah... I pretty much flooded our basement.
So we called our insurance. They said with our deductible it would cost us $2,800 to have a company come out and take care of it for us. We decided not to go that route, so Sean rounded up a bunch of carpet fans and a de-humidifier and spent the entire day moving out furniture, tearing up carpet, discarding the carpet padding, and drilling holes in the sheet rock (to air out the walls to prevent mold).
Can you guess how mad Sean was? Yah, he was pretty mad at me and I don't blame him, yikes! I was actually pretty impressed with how well he handled it. He freaked out initially of course but he got over it pretty fast and went to work on it. He forgave me, and despite my air headedness, he still loves me :). He said, "it coulda been worse". I'm thinking, really?... okay well if you say so. He's right though, it's really not that big of a deal when you think of what's going on around us. Here was his Facebook status update that day,
"Basement Flooded, bad one. YUCK. Still, could have been much much much worse. Started getting really angry about it, then started to think that it is fixable. So feeling for this poor family in West Jordan that lost their 6 year old at the hands of some monster. Can't imagine. Like I said, a flood is nothing when you put things into perspective."
Great example he is right?
So anyway, within the last couple of weeks we've had a few other bumps in the road.
The other day I dropped my computer back up and it broke.
There went $200 down the drain. But like Sean said, it could have been worse. At least it wasn't my actual computer hard drive and I didn't lose any valuable information like pictures and home videos.
Then a couple weeks ago we found out that our neighbors cat got locked in our house in St. George. It had been there for well over 10 days without food or water.
But once again, like Sean say's, it could have been worse. At least we found out about it soon enough and the cat actually survived!
So the moral of the story is. No matter how bad things may seem, there's always something to be grateful for. I'm grateful I have 3 healthy children, a very PATIENT husband that loves me and a house to live in. I'm also grateful that cats have 9 lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment